Friday, June 30, 2017

Anniversary!

'bout time for another post, here it is:

It's The Anniversary of the Blog!!
One year ago, today, I started badpopularcars.blogspot.com, and have never stopped blogging since. I have had the support of everyone who viewed my blog.

Let's cut the nostalgia there, shall we?

As a special, I thought I should just do a regular post, with a bit of a bonus. So, I bring to you,

Anniversary Edition: The Reliant Robin!


(credit:www.youtube.com)

Okay, the Robin wasn't ever popular in the land of the free and the home of the brave, (thank god!) but they were quite common in Britain. Apparently the law was that if the "car" was below a certain weight, and a certain displacement, and only had three wheels, it was driveable on a motorcycle license. I am a bit confused why people didn't just do the British equivalent of driver's ed, and spare themselves from this kind of accident:

 
(credit: BBC2 Top Gear (the proper Top Gear, when they had May, Hammond, and Clarkson))

Luckily, you probably won't be able to go fast enough to roll it, as the engine is a pathetic little 39bhp, 850cc four-pot. I don't mean to show off or anything, but my sewing machine manages to have both a bigger engine, and more power.

The top speed was just 85. It is a bit surprising that the Robin is capable of anything over 30 mph. And even though it goes (barely) fast enough to run it on the highway, changing lanes may be a bit of a problem, do to rolliness. Not that you would ever need to, as I highly doubt the Robin is capable of overtaking anything that doesn't go "neigh". I suspect this is because the Reliant makes all of 46 ft. lbs. of torque!

Contrary to the name, the Robin certainly isn't "Reliant". Keep in mind that Reliant is a bicycle manufacturer, and it just so happened to make cars. Also, post-war British cars were known to dissolve like an Alka-Seltzer tablet *cough* *cough* Jaguar XJS *cough* *cough*. The front underbody must need replacing all the time, because when the front tips over, the corner of the underbody scrapes along the ground.


Also, if painted blue, the Robin may be mistaken by a certain Leyland Mini driver as a Reliant Regal.


Bonus:
look at what I saw a few days back!



I hope everyone has had a great year on the blog, and I wish each and every one of you a great next year.

-Kailas

Do you have any thoughts about cars? What drives you crazy? I welcome all respectful comments, so keep it clean. One post a week (possibly more!), so stay tuned!


11 comments:

  1. I'm virtually spraying champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying a beer in honor of the past year. As you know, my whole family, and some people from work enjoy your blog. I always look forward to seeing what you have in store for us! Congratulations 🎂🥂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you think next year will be as good as this one was!

      Delete
  3. ha ha! that"s one funny comment, mate. congratulations on a whole year of blogging!!

    Sinceit is summah, you must be wandering about car shows, right? if you see a reliant Robin, tip it over and change its sticker to "unreliant". that will teach'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congratulations! Unfortunately, tipping over Reliants is really, really illegal, and I'm pretty sure there are no British tricycles where I live (that's a really good thing).

      Delete
  4. It's kind of like cow tipping 🐮 except not harmful to useful animals.who knows, with the trend being to pay large sums for small European cars (mini, Fiat) we may soon see the Robin advertised for 30,000 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😬 Soon they'll get to the Piaggio Ape...

      Delete
    2. Also, cows are incredibly useful! (Even if they do produce more CO2 and Methane than a car)

      Delete
    3. But, but, cream !! Iced and sour and whipped!! and butter and cheese compared to these glories what's a little carbon dioxide? 😊

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I would definitely live in an apocalyptic greenhouse effected hothouse Earth, and have access to ice cream,crême brulee, and a good helping of extra sharp new York cheddar (with crackers). Oh, and, steak?

      Delete
  5. Yes to everything except the Apocalypse. Can't we have fro yo and not melt Antarctica?

    ReplyDelete

Use your freedom of speech!